ATHENS, Greece (AP) - Greek Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis resigned Monday, saying he was told shortly after Greece's decisive referendum result that some other eurozone finance ministers and the country's other creditors would appreciate his not attending the ministers' meetings.
Varoufakis said Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras had judged that his resignation "might help achieve a deal" and that he was leaving the finance ministry for that reason.
"I shall wear the creditors' loathing with pride," Varoufakis said in his announcement.
QUITO, Ecuador (AP) - Pope Francis travels to the Ecuadorean port of Guayaquil on Monday for a Mass expected to draw more than a million people, as Latin America's first pontiff tours his home continent with a message of compassion for the weak and respect for an ailing planet.
Francis is taking it relatively easy on his first full day in Ecuador, making the quick flight to Guayaquil for the Mass at the Shrine of the Divine Mercy and then a lunch with a group of fellow Jesuits.
The highlight of the encounter will likely be his reunion with the Rev. Francisco Cortes, a Jesuit affectionately known as "Padre Paquito," to whom the Argentina-born pope, then the Rev. Jorge Mario Bergoglio,
SHIJAIYAH, Gaza Strip (AP) - After weeks of sharing cramped quarters with relatives during last year's war between Hamas and Israel, 39-year-old Mohammed al-Selek thought nothing of it when he heard the incoming roar of two mortar shells. But once a suffocating cloud of acrid smoke filled the stairwell, his heart sank - the family's home had been struck by Israeli fire.
Moments before, he had been enjoying a rare break, relaxing with a cup of tea and cookies as he marked the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. The house was filled with his children, nieces and nephews, and al-Selek's father had taken the restless kids to play up on the rooftop, where the family kept rabbits and chickens.
VIENNA (AP) - Nine days into marathon nuclear talks, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Sunday said the diplomatic efforts "could go either way," cutting off all potential pathways for an Iranian atomic bomb or ending without an agreement that American officials have sometimes described as the only alternative to war.
The EU's top foreign policy official, Federica Mogherini, said agreement was "very close." But Kerry said there was still a ways to go.
"We are not yet where we need to be on several of the most critical issues," Kerry told reporters outside the 19th-century Viennese palace that has hosted the negotiations.
JOS, Nigeria (AP) - An emergency agency official says 44 people were killed by two bombs that exploded at a crowded mosque and an elite Muslim restaurant in Nigeria's central city of Jos.
Abdussalam Mohammed of the National Emergency Management Agency says 67 other people were wounded and are being treated in hospitals.
Witnesses who requested anonymity for fear of reprisals say the explosion at Yantaya Mosque came as a leading cleric who preaches peaceful co-existence was addressing a crowd during the holy month of Ramadan.
- Analysts: Greek government's post-referendum future unsure
- Campaigns halt as Greeks face tough referendum choice
- Egypt marks 2nd anniversary of Islamist ouster with mourning
- Fatal fire on Japan's airtight bullet train exposes lapses
- Tentative agreement on Iran sanctions relief
- Greece: Poll shows 2 sides neck and neck before referendum
- Could searchers' sonars have missed wreckage of Flight 370?
- Solar-powered plane due to land in Hawaii after 5-day flight
- शिवराज मुझे मरवाना चाहते हैं: चतुर्वेदी
- विंबलडन में सेरेना ने वीनस को हराया
- पढ़ाई हो गई पूरी तो कहाँ रही कमी?
- ग्रीस : अगले 48 घंटे और कुछ सवाल
- फोटो को फ़ोन में ऐसे रखें छिपाकर
- शटलकॉक तक नहीं मिलती: ज्वाला
- पल्लवी जोशी का एफटीआईआई से इस्तीफ़ा
- व्यापमंः राज्यपाल के ख़िलाफ़ याचिका मंज़ूर
- अविवाहित माँ के पक्ष में सुप्रीम कोर्ट का फ़ैसला
- कल निकलेगी शाहिद की बारात
- ग्रीस में 'ना' के जश्न के बाद अब क्या?
- अमरीका ने जीता महिला फ़ुटबॉल विश्व कप
- ...तो मेरा क्या होगा कालिया?
- खज़ाने के लालच में मासूमों की बलि?
- रविशंकर प्रसाद इंटरव्यू-2
- ਮਿਸਰ: ਲਗਾਤਾਰ ਅੱਤਵਾਦੀ ਹਮਲਿਆਂ ”ਚ 30 ਫੌਜੀਆਂ ਦੀ ਮੌਤ
- ਰੂਸ ਨੇ ਯੋਗਾ ਨੂੰ ਦੱਸਿਆ ਜਾਦੂ-ਟੋਣਾ, ਕਰਵਾਇਆ ਬੰਦ
- ਪੀ.ਐਮ ਮੋਦੀ ਨੇ ਕੀਤਾ ਡਿਜ਼ੀਟਲ ਇੰਡੀਆ ਵੀਕ ਲਾਂਚ
- ਨਹਿਰੂ ਦੇ ਦਾਦੇ ਨੂੰ ”ਮੁਸਲਿਮ” ਦੱਸਣ ”ਤੇ ਕਾਂਗਰਸ ਨੇ ਕੀਤਾ ਵਿਰੋਧ
- ਪਾਕਿਸਤਾਨ ਦਾ ਹਿੱਸਾ ਹਨ ਗਿਲਗਿਤ-ਬਲਿਤਸਤਾਨ, ਕਸ਼ਮੀਰ : ਪਾਕਿ ਮੰਤਰੀ
- ”ਖੁਦ” ਆਪਣੇ ਮਸਲੇ ਹੱਲ ਕਰਨ ਭਾਰਤ ਤੇ ਪਾਕਿਸਤਾਨ : ਅਮਰੀਕਾ
- ਭਾਜਪਾ ਨੇ ਖੋਲ੍ਹੀ ਹੈ ”ਲਲਿਤ ਕਲਾ ਅਕਾਦਮੀ”: ਕਾਂਗਰਸ
- ਬਿਹਾਰ ”ਚ ਆਂਤਕਰਾਜ ਕਾਇਮ ਕਰਨਾ ਚਾਹੁੰਦੇ ਹਨ ਨਿਤੀਸ਼: ਮੋਦੀ
- ਅਫਗਾਨਿਸਤਾਨ ਦੀ ਸੰਸਦ ‘ਤੇ ਵੱਡਾ ਹਮਲਾ, ਕਈ ਸਾਂਸਦ ਜ਼ਖਮੀ
- ਪੱਤਰਕਾਰ ਦਾ ਅਪਹਰਣ ਕਰਕੇ ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਜ਼ਿੰਦਾ ਸਾੜਿਆ