SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - A knife attack Thursday that injured the U.S. ambassador to South Korea is the latest act of political violence in a deeply divided country where some protesters portray their causes as matters of life and death.
The slashing of Ambassador Mark Lippert's face and arm was an extreme example, but America infuriates some leftist South Koreans because of its role in Korea's turbulent modern history.
Washington, which backed the South during the 1950-53 Korean War against the communist North, still stations nearly 30,000 troops here and holds annual military drills with Seoul. That's something anti-U.S. activists view as a major
BAGA SOLO, Chad (AP) - Kellou Abakar knew she was in trouble as the contractions started not long after an Islamic extremist group attacked her town in Nigeria. Her husband was nowhere to be found, and so she pulled her 4-year-old son onto her back and grabbed her two little girls by the hand.
The 30-year-old pregnant woman ran as fast as she could to escape the Jan. 3 attack on her hometown of Baga. It was one of the worst massacres ever carried out by Boko Haram during its five-year insurgency.
SYDNEY (AP) - She wakes up every morning and reaches for the smartphone on her nightstand, searching for the same jumble of letters and numbers that have consumed her life for a year: MH370. She scrolls through the news results, hoping for something - anything - that could explain what happened to her husband and the other 238 people on board Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.
But every day, there is nothing. And so Danica Weeks puts down her phone and reaches instead for Paul's wedding
BANGKOK (AP) - At a military base outside Bangkok, soldiers stand guard over Buddha statues, showcases of Rolex watches and some very expensive French wine - a $4,000 bottle of Petrus and choice vintages of Dom Perignon.
It all belonged to a man who led Thailand's equivalent of the FBI and is now serving 31 years in prison on corruption and other convictions. A four-day auction that opened Thursday features a small portion of the 27,000 items police say they seized from longtime Central Investigation Bureau head Lt. Gen. Pongpat Chayapan.
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) - Indonesian officials said Thursday they will reject an Australian offer to swap prisoners as part of a last-ditch attempt to save the lives of two Australian drug smugglers expected to face a firing squad within days.
Minister of Justice and Human Rights Yasonna Laoly said prisoner swaps might be possible for other crimes in the future, but not for people sentenced to death under Indonesia's tough anti-drug laws.
"When it comes to this crime, we will say no," he told reporters after meeting with President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo.
- US says aim is March 'understanding,' not preliminary deal
- N. Korea shifts more responsibility to factories, farmers
- Coal mine blast in eastern Ukraine kills 1, traps dozens
- A murderer and rapist's views reflect those of many in India
- British citizen fighting with Kurds killed in Syria
- Fierce clashes outside Iraq's Tikrit after new offensive
- Mourners view body of slain opposition leader Boris Nemtsov
- Airlines move to better track planes a year after Flight 370
- 'इंडियाज़ डॉटर' पर क्या कहते हैं लोग?
- पाकिस्तान, नेपाल में भी होली की धूम
- विमान हादसे में अभिनेता हैरिसन फोर्ड घायल
- अल नुसरा प्रमुख की हमले में मौत
- न्यूज़ अलर्ट: आज है रंगों का त्योहार होली
- देख बहारें होली की.........
- दीमापुर: संदिग्ध बलात्कारी की पीटकर हत्या
- नेताजी...बुरा न मानो होली है
- डॉक्यूमेंट्री विवादः क्या कहती हैं बलात्कार पीड़िता?
- फ़ेसबुक पर कमेंट करने पर गिरफ़्तारी
- टीम की मर्यादा बनाए रखें विराट: बीसीसीआई
- यूट्यूब से हटाई गई निर्भया डॉक्यूमेंट्री
- गैंगरेप डॉक्यूमेंट्री: असल मुद्दा क्या है?
- मयंक गांधी ने 'आप' पर साधा निशाना
- क्या भारतीय टीम होली के दिन मनाएगी दीवाली?
- ਆਸਟ੍ਰੇਲੀਆ ‘ਚ ਭੁੱਖਿਆ ਦਾ ਢਿੱਡ ਭਰ ਰਿਹੈ ਭਾਰਤੀ ਰੈਸਤਰਾਂ
- Mann Jitt Weekly Celebrates 10 years of Readership
- ਅੱਤਵਾਦ ਨਾਲ ਲੜਨ ਲਈ ਜਾਪਾਨ ਨੇ ਕੀਤਾ ਵੱਡਾ ਐਲਾਨ
- ਧਮਾਕਿਆਂ ਨਾਲ ਦਹਿਲਿਆ ਲਾਹੌਰ, 5 ਦੀ ਮੌਤ
- ਬੱਸ ਡੂੰਘੀ ਖੱਡ ‘ਚ ਡਿੱਗੀ, 8 ਦੀ ਮੌਤ
- ਜੇਲ ”ਚ ਆਸਾ ਰਾਮ, ਬਾਹਰ ਚੇਲੇ ਮਚਾ ਰਹੇ ਆਤੰਕ
- ਭ੍ਰਿਸ਼ਟਾਚਾਰ ”ਤੇ ਸਿਰਫ ਭਰੋਸਾ ਦਿੰਦੇ ਹਨ ਪ੍ਰਧਾਨ ਮੰਤਰੀ ਮੋਦੀ- ਅੰਨਾ ਹਜ਼ਾਰੇ
- Mannjitt Weekly reaches its 500th Edition!
- Congratulations on Gurpurb